Savor The Experience
When I use the word “savor,” what comes to your mind? For me, I think of delicious food. Allowing a tasty piece of steak to roll around inside my mouth. Enjoying all the rich flavor experiences that the chef has infused into the food. Lingering over my meal in order to enjoy it as long as possible.
Here’s an appropriate definition of what I’m talking about:
to give oneself to the enjoyment of: to savor the best in life (source: Dictionary.com).
I’m struck by the first few words of this definition – “to give oneself.” Sometimes, we just need to give ourselves permission to enjoy life and not be in such a huge rush in everything we do. Forget the time management principles and techniques. Just live life!
In this post, let’s look at some ways we can enjoy living our lives at a deeper, richer, more satisfying experience.
5 Ways To Savor Life Right Now
- Embrace what is before you right now, whatever it may be. Today could be a “bad” day for you. At the time that I’m writing this, I’ve been in the process of fighting through a bad cold. I’ve tried not to let it slow me down, though. I’ve tried to fulfill my obligations and enjoy the process along the way. Whether times are good or difficult, savor your life, today!
- Eliminate the distractions. It’s difficult to enjoy anything if you are tweeting, texting, Facebook-ing, and documenting your entire experience. Or, perhaps you go old school and always have your TV running in the background? Try turning all that stuff off and focus on the actual activity your engaged in. Enjoy the activity for what it is.
- Live in the moment. To be completely honest with you, I’ve never been a big “live in the moment” type of guy. I’ve always been the type who is looking into the future – tomorrow, next week, next year. The only way you can truly savor the experience, though, is to enjoy this very moment in time. Let tomorrow worry about itself.
- Linger a little longer. It’s so easy to just rush through an activity in order to move onto the next thing. Hey, why not slow down and take a little more time on what you’re doing right now? Your next activity can wait while you enjoy this one.
- Live with an attitude of gratitude. Appreciate what you have right now. I’m guessing you have a pretty incredible life, and that there are people around you who envy who you are and everything you have! Unfortunately, many times we all lose perspective on how great we have it. When we live with an attitude of thanksgiving for all that God has allowed into our life to enjoy, it’s a whole lot easier to fully enjoy our life. Is it time for a check-up on your attitude of gratitude?
Are You Savoring Your Life?
How about you? Have you been savoring your life or have you been simply existing? Are you trying to just rush through where you’re at right now in order to get on to the bigger, better deal?
If you are, I would just encourage you to slow down and reassess where you are, today. Don’t constantly chase the rainbow. If you do, you’re going to end up at the end of your life with a bunch of regrets.
Savor today. Suck all the delicious flavors out of each experience that you can!
Question: what’s going on in your life today that you could spend more time savoring the experience instead of just rushing through it?